AusBream Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Members Boat | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Classifieds
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to AusBream Forums
 Talkin Bream (General)
 1st day cull?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

starvin marvin
40cm Bream Bluenose

Australia
636 Posts

Member No: #1337

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  11:20:29 PM  Show Profile Send starvin marvin a Private Message
Gday all,
Bream comps:the sport needs an overhall in the order of a 1st day cull of all competitors who fail to make the top 20 or 25 in a 2 day bream tournament.This would solve the problem of people who have no chance of winning swamping the leaders spots in the hope of some kind of miracle.
The sport has slipped and alot of top anglers have left due to the back stabbing nature of some anglers who have no ettiquet when it comes to big money comps.
If i dont finish in the top 20 after the first day then i dont think i deseve to fish the second day.
J M O.
What do you think?
Adam

"Surely you cant be serious"
"I am serious and dont call me shirly"

Scales
Stonker

Australia
2683 Posts

Member No: #312

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  07:35:45 AM  Show Profile Send Scales a Private Message
Adam I can see your point but I don't think there is a need to cull but more so for a need of people to respect what the leaders have done to get above the rest of the field. People just need to leave the top runners be and let them get on with winning.

A few years back DaveW and I had such an experience. We were doing a Classic event and in a small bay there was just us and another boat. After day 1 were were 500 grams in front of 2nd place. Come day 2 we had to contend with 13 boats in this same area that we fished the previous day. We had to work extra hard and to secure our bag and the fishing certainly almost shutdown to the extra boat traffic. One idiot even came in and did two laps of the bay then drove out again.

Ettiquet hmmmmm I'm certain some have never heard of it.

Nick

Sponsored by:

Frogley's Offshore

www.frogleysoffshore.com.au

"Steve Duff" Kustom Fishing Tools
www.kustomfishingtools.com.au

ACs
www.activecasual.com

Go to Top of Page

mex
20cm Bream

Australia
51 Posts

Member No: #1602

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  8:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit mex's Homepage Send mex a Private Message
Adam the big money comps would not be around if the average angler was culled on the first day and as for ettiquette the amount of top anglers who have dropped in on my drift would make your head spin.As a top angler you should be able to fish any condition as it arises
J M O
Steve
Go to Top of Page

beats
40cm Bream Bluenose

Australia
990 Posts

Member No: #509

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  9:55:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit beats's Homepage Send beats a Private Message
no need to cull, as thier spots may not have fired day 1 & may well produce the fish they need on day 2.
However there are alot of people who could do with a big kick in the ethics !!!
like Nick said if you know where the leaders are, leave them be & find your own fish !
Go to Top of Page

leelee
Stonker

Australia
1508 Posts

Member No: #409

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  10:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit leelee's Homepage Send leelee a Private Message
I agree with Beats

So if you were in 21st place and nailed a 6kg bag on the second day then you woudl rocket up the leader board.

Can't start culling anglers on a daily basis until you have over 100 boats on the water for comps.

As for ethics, well thats just another reason most seasoned anglers fish very little comps anymore.

Cheers

Lee

Two fish swim into a concrete wall.
The one turns to the other and
says, "Dam!"

N.B Boat picture removed so as not to upset any more people :-)
Go to Top of Page

starvin marvin
40cm Bream Bluenose

Australia
636 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  11:22:59 PM  Show Profile Send starvin marvin a Private Message
Halving the field after the first day has a few pluses.Less pressure on the fish being a major plus.Its up to those average anglers to improve their pre-fishing techniques Steve,or how will they ever win a comp.With that attitude they will allways just be making up the numbers.There is no difference between the top anglers and the average fisho like me.Why not have a cull to force us average blokes to lift our games or perish.After all we are all in it to win it.
Its amazing how many people who struggled on day one will seek out the leaders on day 2 in hope that they can produce something special.No ettiquet and they end up spooking the fish the leaders need to win the comp. It has happened to me and i wonder how often this happens to others?
Adam

Go to Top of Page

snag
Stonker

Australia
2137 Posts

Member No: #23

Posted - 11 Nov 2009 :  11:18:11 AM  Show Profile Send snag a Private Message
Lets go one step futher and say if you dont have a 150hp motor or bigger you can not enter...lol....or even better yet make the entry fee $5000 a pop and have only a few entry's....that way you can cull before the event even starts.

Supported by Diztec Lures
http://diztek.webs.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dodgy Back
30cm Bream

Australia
256 Posts

Member No: #721

Posted - 11 Nov 2009 :  11:21:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dodgy Back's Homepage Send Dodgy Back a Private Message
Adam
it is unfortunatley one of those things that will never stop.
Not a great deal any one can do about it.

By halving the field after day 1.
All that will do is half the entrants and also half the prize pool.

Alot of guys enter for fun and the hope of snagging a great bag. Culling the field will take alot of fun out of it.
Go to Top of Page

snag
Stonker

Australia
2137 Posts

Member No: #23

Posted - 11 Nov 2009 :  2:09:00 PM  Show Profile Send snag a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dodgy Back

Adam

Alot of guys enter for fun and the hope of snagging a great bag. Culling the field will take alot of fun out of it.

Well said

Supported by Diztec Lures
http://diztek.webs.com/
Go to Top of Page

leelee
Stonker

Australia
1508 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2009 :  7:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit leelee's Homepage Send leelee a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dodgy Back

Adam

Have to agree there Mick

You can't cull competitors who have earned the right to fish the Grand Final as they deserve the right to fish for 2 days and hopefully qualify for the final day.

As for pressure on the fish well the prefish day places a heap of pressure on the system prior to day 1 but people still catch fish on day 1 so the pressure theory is not always true.

The guys that finish in the top 10 for most comps do so because they have cracked the code and do what is necassary to get the fish, irrespective of pressure and technique that is required.

As an example a few years back Wayne Reed was running second last going into day 3 of the Oz open. A huge bag catapulted them up the ladder into 3 rd place. Shoudl they have been culled after the first few days? I don't think so.

Every minute you have in on the water gives you a chance. It only takes 5 bites to get you that bag.

Cheers

Lee

says, "Dam!"

Go to Top of Page

starvin marvin
40cm Bream Bluenose

Australia
636 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2009 :  8:47:52 PM  Show Profile Send starvin marvin a Private Message

It seems that you have missed my point or either i have worded it incorrectly.
Looks like its becoming dog eat dog.No wonder a stack of top anglers are selling their bream boats and chasing Snapper instead.
Then again if you enjoy paying big bucks to have a social day called a fishing comp,so be it.
More for you.

Go to Top of Page

blacktruck
30cm Bream

Australia
158 Posts

Member No: #701

Posted - 11 Nov 2009 :  8:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit blacktruck's Homepage Send blacktruck a Private Message
Come on Adam lots of blokes are chasing snapper cause they are a great fish[to catch and to eat]and pull the ass out of a crappy bream.

Wes walker of the darkside
Go to Top of Page

beats
40cm Bream Bluenose

Australia
990 Posts

Member No: #509

Posted - 12 Nov 2009 :  8:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit beats's Homepage Send beats a Private Message
Adam those guys you are talkin about are learning tournament anglers or good to average anglers that have had a bad day & may do well next day.
if you start culling anglers on day 1 you will lose anglers entry to start with & there fore lose prize money etc, everyone who enters wants to have a chance at a place & hopefully get a prize at the end of it all, be it prizes, cash or just the feeling of finishing highly placed is whatits about & that changes with each anglers personal thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

leelee
Stonker

Australia
1508 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2009 :  10:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit leelee's Homepage Send leelee a Private Message
Also the other side of this topic is then if you cull the boaters you ahve to cull the non boaters as well.

Would not work out well if the nb has drawn one of oz's best boaters on day 2 but is culled due to a finish in 21st place after day 1.

Cheers

Lee

says, "Dam!"

Go to Top of Page

Dodgy Back
30cm Bream

Australia
256 Posts

Member No: #721

Posted - 13 Nov 2009 :  10:30:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dodgy Back's Homepage Send Dodgy Back a Private Message
Having a cull Adam may well have the opposite effect that you want.
It might make anglers more ruthless to make that cut and chase down the favourite anglers on the first day,

What top breamers have sold up and moved on ?

I can't think of any one from queensland
Go to Top of Page

starvin marvin
40cm Bream Bluenose

Australia
636 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2009 :  11:40:21 PM  Show Profile Send starvin marvin a Private Message
Dodgy,the reason no top queenslanders have gone to snapper fishing is because there are only a hand full of you Im not going to name names but at least 5 prominent New South Welshmen have gone to chasing snapper or gamefishing.
I cant see how some of you think it will reduce attendance at bream comps as we all pay up front,and everyone should be backing themselves for the win.
How many times has someone outside the top 25 came back to nearly win on the 2nd day? Bet you can count it on one hand.
Anyway,lets hope people develop a better attitude and follow basic ettiquet in future comps,allthough i highly doubt it.
Adam

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBream Forums © 2000-2014 AusBream.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000