AusBream Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Members Boat | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Classifieds
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to AusBream Forums
 Talkin Bream (General)
 1st day cull?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

TEAM BIG
20cm Bream

Australia
52 Posts

Member No: #1232

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  12:19:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit TEAM BIG's Homepage Send TEAM BIG a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Steve_Morgan

Lee is right. 30m is suggested etiquette.

If most people here are talking about the Barrenjoey flats, then my opinion is that there's about 6 square kilometres of water there - enough for the whole field to fish and catch limits. Also no competetors have a 'right' to such a large area. If there's a sweet spot on it - back yourself and anchor on it. In the USA, that's the only way you can guarantee no incursions and the only way they take an incursion claim seriously.

Personally, most of the seasoned competitors I know and see fish are very courteous to their fellow anglers.

Adam,

ABT does run 'cut' style events - they're called the Super Series events and cut to the top ten boaters after the first two days.

Anglers who treat their fellow anglers poorly soon get a name for themselves. I think that's punishment enough for poor etiquette - unless you like being regarded as a poor sport.

Cheers,

SM

Even better call Steve
Congrats on your recent win too

NEVER EVER GIVE UP
Go to Top of Page

scott19
30cm Bream

Australia
130 Posts

Member No: #1254

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  1:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit scott19's Homepage Send scott19 a Private Message
I think the 70-100 meter rule for bream fishing is way to hard.

Just think about fishing Racks, Canals and mored boats with a 100 meter rule, It would all be about the fasted boat gets there first and he would sit there all day and now one can fish the same boats he is.

Put it this way, At the Classic grand final this year We found fish in Pittwater in only one area of mored boats, We hit the area for one hour and left it for a hour and etc all day everytime we came back there were more and more boats there , On the last day we had around 10 boats in one area no one caught a fish but we upgraded 4 times in 20 mins so it does come to tactics as well..

As comps get bigger fish are under more pressure so I think you find people with game plan will rise higher .

Go to Top of Page

starvin marvin
40cm Bream Bluenose

Australia
636 Posts

Member No: #1337

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  12:58:12 AM  Show Profile Send starvin marvin a Private Message
Maybe a cull is not the answer.If we look at all the negatives it dosent seem like the best alternative.
It does,although,give piece of mind to those who have been fortunate or skilled enough to make the top 20.
Everyone takes a gamble on certain locations during an event.most top anglers will adapt to the venue they compete upon.Take for instance some nsw and qld anglers doing very well in tas and s.a.
That pretty much negates the arguement for loss of traveling expenses if you dont make the cut on day 2.Everyone is in the same boat.If the thought of being cut is daunting enough for you to avoid certain venues because of a lack of local knoledge,then maybe concentrate on your local events or team comps.
I fished the Manning last Jan for the first time,and had a reasonable prefish,but bugger all knoledge of the river,and only covered a fraction of the system on my one pre-fish day.
I was confident that i could produce a bag,but struggled and finished in the bottom of the field.
Im going back this year and will most likely only have a limited pre-fish again,but i will back myself to do better from my mistakes made last comp.
I would also like to fish Mallacoota next year as well,but a cull system wouldnt baulk me even though the chances are high i will not feature in the top 20.
Im not frightened to have a go,and improve myself as an angler along the way.
Some people are talking about the Pittwater flats and crowding anglers but that will allways be a factor in that location.
What irks me is people who take a gamble on a location,fail the first day,then show up to the leaders spot on day 2 and say"I allways fish this spot".
Well too bad,you made your bed so now you can lay in it.
Thats a good call Darren,you must have a guilty conscience,cause your a great spot jumper.
Maybe ABT can give you a "chase the leaders patch" or something.
Vent over
Adam

"Surely you cant be serious"
"I am serious and dont call me shirly"
Go to Top of Page

Scales
Stonker

Australia
2683 Posts

Member No: #312

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  09:22:02 AM  Show Profile Send Scales a Private Message
Being part of the Classic GF and a comp angler if you think about it and look at the figures from the Hawks Classic just gone. As Grant said 30 + boats on the Carpark spot day 2. Increased pressure yes but it is clear that not all 31 boats got their bags. Why is this? Simply local knowledge and differing techniques. It is one thing to be in the same spot fishing a known fish holding point and another thing to actually pull fish from it.

It won't be the first time and it wont be the last time this happens.

As Steve has said basically you can't claim a spot as yours in a comp if you want to own it for the day then anchor up.

It's a part of comp fishing these days yes it is becoming knife and dagger but at the end of the day it is a "Competition".

I guess all you can do is ask yourself and think before making the choice to go add to the fishing pressure, is what I'm about to do going to cause a greater effect on the leaders fishing.

The Carpark is a well known spot for collecting your bag, it doesn't mean it holds the biggest fish just lots of fish.

Lets not forget that Chris and Bill had a better class of fish they just couldn't pull their 5 fish from their spot. So smartly they went to the flats to try to fill thier bag as this is a known spot for fish to be and those flats replenish as the fish don't stay there they pass over them I's my thinking. Bingo and they pull a cracker to secure the win!!

If you follow the leaders thinking your going to jump to the top then good luck as generally the leaders are already onto the pattern while your still trying to figure it out.

All the best for 2010 season is all I have left to say.

Sponsored by:

Frogley's Offshore

www.frogleysoffshore.com.au

"Steve Duff" Kustom Fishing Tools
www.kustomfishingtools.com.au

ACs
www.activecasual.com

Go to Top of Page

Grimace_
Cockney

Australia
15 Posts

Member No: #1960

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  12:24:05 PM  Show Profile Send Grimace_ a Private Message
quote:
Thats a good call Darren,you must have a guilty conscience,cause your a great spot jumper.

Hahaha
Go to Top of Page

gbrown1
30cm Bream

Australia
144 Posts

Member No: #36

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  2:07:57 PM  Show Profile Send gbrown1 a Private Message
I have been following this tread for some time now and I am really confused.

Who's spot is who's

GB
Go to Top of Page

Cid
30cm Bream

Australia
407 Posts

Member No: #306

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  3:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cid's Homepage Send Cid a Private Message
You should all 'see the light' and go and buy yourself a kayak!

cheers,
Cid

Sponsored by Gladiator Tackle
Go to Top of Page

TEAM BIG
20cm Bream

Australia
52 Posts

Member No: #1232

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  4:08:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit TEAM BIG's Homepage Send TEAM BIG a Private Message
I am confused too Gary !!!
Adam, you are a much better angler than I am so please do not stress. Sorry, I was unaware you owned that twenty acres of weed beds. Maybe ABT can allocate you some more exclusive sites ie: say half an acre of oyster racks.
Let's not forget the ABT moto "who shares wins".

NEVER EVER GIVE UP
Go to Top of Page

leelee
Stonker

Australia
1508 Posts

Member No: #409

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  6:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit leelee's Homepage Send leelee a Private Message
Don't forget that 4 years ago that the number of anglers who knew and fished the flats at Pittwater and Botany bay could be counted on both your hands. Now look at it.

I must say though that over the last few years there there appears to be more whinging and complaining by anglers then actually fishing. Its the sport you chose to compete in so there is really only 2 options here. Live with it or don't fish them.

Morgo I think its about time you also started thinking about what ABT really stands for because there appears to be a niche market for Australias Bitchiest Tournaments hereMight be worth a lookImagine combining that with an online version for the keyboard hero and you have a winner for sure

Cheers

Lee

Two fish swim into a concrete wall.
The one turns to the other and
says, "Dam!"

N.B Boat picture removed so as not to upset any more people :-)

Edited by - leelee on 17 Nov 2009 6:02:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Banjo
30cm Bream

Australia
115 Posts

Member No: #1521

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  6:51:20 PM  Show Profile Send Banjo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by leelee

Australias Bitchiest Tournaments hereMight be worth a lookImagine combining that with an online version for the keyboard hero and you have a winner for sure

Cheers

Lee

tisk tisk tisk, Glass houses Lee.

The way I see it, if your good, your good, if your not your Adam, if your lucky on day one your Adam, if you give your boat away at Home waterways comps, your LeeLee.

No one owns water. so fish where and when you want. comp or no comp.

Tim.

PS keep a sence of humour lads.

one day I want to see a comp on Lake Cathie.

Go to Top of Page

Joker
30cm Bream

Australia
131 Posts

Member No: #2066

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  6:57:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joker's Homepage Send Joker a Private Message
Hey Guys, while not being a big comp fisher, it seems that the problem could be fixed with the enforcement of exclusion zones around each boat, say 40m in all directions from an anchored competitor, and 25 from someone moving(and fishing), with a right of way system that gives preference to those higher up the leader board in effect. That should let the newer guys have a look at what the pros are doing, but gives the leaders their shot at the cash.
That's just my thoughts
Joker

Less nets makes for a better world
Go to Top of Page

Mick P
40cm Bream Bluenose

Australia
643 Posts

Member No: #44

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  8:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mick P's Homepage Send Mick P a Private Message
The tournaments are what they are, people should enjoy the fishing and take less interest in what other people are doing. The current format has worked from the start and no matter how many things you change there will always be some one with a gripe. The 30m rule has always been a courtesy that 90% of anglers have adhered to, but you will always get the few that push the boundary,changing the distance to 50, 100, 1km will change nothing.

As far as keeping clear of the leaders, you will always get people who will poach others spots, but the other side of the coin is the guy who has prefished an area, cracked a pattern and made a game plan to leave the area to the sunday, when the tides and wind may be a bit more favourable. At the weighin on the saturday he finds out the leading boats had fished this area and had pulled good bags. Should he now steer clear of the area and change the game plan that he made several weeks prior, after putting a lot of time and effort in to prefishing?

If you have one boat near you or forty, who really cares. If the stress of other anglers near you is causing you that much grief, than maybe you should do a pastime like bushwalking, where you can walk off in to the wilderness and be all by your self.

Cid had the best suggestion, get a kayak and enjoy the yak tournament scene.

But take note when you are fishing in QLD and throwing back 24cm fish, the legal limit is actually 23

Edited by - Mick P on 17 Nov 2009 8:48:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

lukkat
30cm Bream

213 Posts

Member No: #1529

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  10:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit lukkat's Homepage Send lukkat a Private Message
forget bream comps and start having snapper comps?
Go to Top of Page

starvin marvin
40cm Bream Bluenose

Australia
636 Posts

Member No: #1337

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  10:38:53 PM  Show Profile Send starvin marvin a Private Message
Hey Banjo,i allways enjoy a good sh*t stir.
Maybe together we can start the crappy bream anglers association?
You could be president!
But you must fish alot of comps to have such insight mate.

Darren,Its not about ownership of certain areas.But feel free to "Drop-in whenever you see me during a comp,im sure i can return the favour.
Adam

"Surely you cant be serious"
"I am serious and dont call me shirly"

Edited by - starvin marvin on 17 Nov 2009 11:09:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

leelee
Stonker

Australia
1508 Posts

Member No: #409

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  11:08:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit leelee's Homepage Send leelee a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Banjo
if you give your boat away at Home waterways comps, your LeeLee.

And you know where you can stick that comment don't you mate

Yes I let a mate use my boat, but if you knew the whole story which obviously you don't, then you would find you don't need to make ridiclous comments like you have, but as usual comments such as this from yourself only back my previous comments of whinging and complaining

Cheers

Lee

P.S. I picked my boat up the last day of the comp and went to Monduran to fish for real fish as I had already made previous arrangemnts a long time prior to that comp.

Two fish swim into a concrete wall.
The one turns to the other and
says, "Dam!"

N.B Boat picture removed so as not to upset any more people :-)

Edited by - leelee on 17 Nov 2009 11:10:40 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBream Forums © 2000-2014 AusBream.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000