Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 Advice Please!
 Hastings River, Wauchope, Oxley Highway.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RUG
Ausbass Member

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2016 :  15:01:27  Show Profile Send RUG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I'm having a family holiday to Port Macquarie at the end of March into April.

I'd like to hunt some Bass in the upper Hastings river, up past Wauchope probably using the Oxley Highway.

Will be on foot and too time poor to indulge in a lot of searching. So was wondering whether if anyone would give me some info about public access points where I could walk the banks and possibly tangle with a Bass or two.

Obviously not asking for secret honey holes just general areas I can access without an angry farmer pointing a shotgun at me.

Thanks in advance.
Rug

tigesinaus
Ausbass Member

174 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2016 :  11:36:51  Show Profile Send tigesinaus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going to be hard without a kayak. There is all the obvious spots you can see on google earth where the road comes near the river, otherwise its private properties. There will be scattered fish all through there at this time of year. Access on foot is going to be heard though.
Go to Top of Page

Andre
Ausbass Member

103 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2016 :  15:04:30  Show Profile Send Andre a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Rug,

I'm based in PMQ and have fished that area pretty extensively over the years. Land based fishing is very tough unless you know the local farmers. A canoe / kayak is the only way I fish it.

Access to the Hastings River has become harder over the last couple of years with several public access spots closing down. Bridge to bridge runs (see Google Earth) are pretty long but possible if you have two cars and can commit a full day (such runs are easier on the macleay river 1 hour north). There aren't any serious rapids you can't easily get around. There are bass in all the main rivers - just stick to the freshwater parts and avoid going if the water level is changing, or the barometer is low or dropping. In general - the more remote, the better the fishing.

Andre
Go to Top of Page

RUG
Ausbass Member

5 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2016 :  17:05:56  Show Profile Send RUG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I've searched Google Earth a lot recently and found a few bridges on the smaller side creeks of the Hastings. With those spots I can enter the systems then quote Section 38 of the fisheries act if I get questioned while wading the waterways.

On wading I'm not worried to get in chest deep or swim some sections to stay within the creek beds if need to do ads not to annoy the local farmer.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000